Boredom, as the present-day's definition goes, is having 'nothing to do'. How can there be nothing to do?
Every moment we breathe..we generate cells...we live.
Okay, well...that's like coming down to the minutest of details.
All of the above is done involuntarily...
So technically, 'nothing to do' would mean that a person deliberately chooses to not do anything.
If something is repetitive and monotonous...it leads to lack of enthusiasm for the same.
It's either that or the said person has a pathological condition of lacking enthusiasm or even an iota of interest in everything that exists under the sun.
Like the Princess here :
In this generation, it's like a person needs to get a kick out of the work that one's doing in the first 20 seconds. Otherwise, everything is deemed 'BORING'.
I should know!
I have been doing the most mind-numbingly boring and sleep-inducing work for the past couple of weeks at the office. The mind zoned out and I became so completely robotic that the actual Robot would have envied me (if it had feelings installed in it, I mean).
All of the above is done involuntarily...
So technically, 'nothing to do' would mean that a person deliberately chooses to not do anything.
If something is repetitive and monotonous...it leads to lack of enthusiasm for the same.
It's either that or the said person has a pathological condition of lacking enthusiasm or even an iota of interest in everything that exists under the sun.
Like the Princess here :
A Princess who Never Smiled!
A whole Russian Fairy tale that revolved around how the Princess is bored with the mundane.
It's so sad! *teary eyed*
It's fine though...she smiled at the end of the story! Thank the Heavens above!
It's so sad! *teary eyed*
It's fine though...she smiled at the end of the story! Thank the Heavens above!
In this generation, it's like a person needs to get a kick out of the work that one's doing in the first 20 seconds. Otherwise, everything is deemed 'BORING'.
I should know!
I have been doing the most mind-numbingly boring and sleep-inducing work for the past couple of weeks at the office. The mind zoned out and I became so completely robotic that the actual Robot would have envied me (if it had feelings installed in it, I mean).
Every painful second is magnified and zoomed to the high Heavens.
This is beautifully and albeit a little grossly quoted as follows:
Boredom is like a pitiless zooming in on the epidermis of time. Every instant is dilated and magnified like the pores of the face.- Jean Baudrillard
Even this is so...BOOOO....RRRR...IIII..NNN..GGGG! But then I did a sort of a research on the topic and found some fascinating things - that there's a Boring Institute for one. And, last December, a Boring Conference happened in London which focused on the everyday, mundane.
I also came across this science blog ' The Frontal Cortex' which dealt with what actually goes on in the many folds in the brain when one's bored. It's quite interesting in a whole scientific/biological kind of way.
I won't go into the details but what it said essentially, was that when a person's working on something monotonous then the mind wanders and goes in the flash-back mode, so to speak.
It re-plays the past and provides with better situations that could be useful in future scenarios.
It is supposed to help in one's betterment.
The article also noted that, if a person were to hit the bottom of boredom as soon as it takes hold then that person can come out of it that much faster.
So, you'll have to let the boredom get hold of you...experience the full extent of it.
Can you?
Anyway, some argue that letting the afore-mentioned stuff happen would lead to depression and get addicted to 'recreational' activities (smoking, drugs, sex, etc).
Now, that's damaging, right?
So there's the whole fight that goes on...
Should you fight boredom or let it hit you?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

No comments:
Post a Comment